Kauai Women’s Writing Retreat
November 8 ~ 13, 2020
Write your book.
Learn from bestselling authors.
Meet agents and publishers.
All on beautiful Kauai.
JOIN US in Kauai this November for five days of literary bliss . . . meeting daily to share insights, get support and inspiration; interact with other writers from all over the country and world; attend classes with masters of literary, popular fiction and nonfiction; get input and insights from literary agents and representatives of major publishing houses; and revel in the otherworldly beauty of Kauai where magic can (and often does) happen.
The Power of Words retreat will begin four days prior to the start of the official Kauai Writer’s Conference,* although their Master Class Workshops and Pitch/Critique Sessions (held prior to the conference) will be key pieces of our retreat because we believe they both offer unique and transformative opportunities for writers.
WE WILL GATHER as a community of writers looking to hone our skills, expand our horizons, gain clarity on our work and receive support on where we would like to go as a writer. You will spend four days in a Master Class of your choice with masters of literary, popular fiction and nonfiction. Each day we will meet in circle for an hour or two to enjoy a safe, grounding space to share experiences and deepen our time in our master class. On our final morning you’ll have the opportunity to meet with a top literary agent and/or representative of a major publishing house for manuscript and/or publishing assistance.
If there’s a book that you want to read,
but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.
~ Toni Morrison
MASTER CLASSES will offer you four days of close personal guidance in small groups with living masters of their genres. You can choose from fiction, memoir, nonfiction, publishing and more. Top authors and industry experts cover topics including plot, character development, memoir, historical fiction, nonfiction, bringing life to your novel, and adapting your work to film and TV.
Included in your retreat fee is registration to one of the following Master Classes. Each class is either 3 or 3 ½ hours/ ay for three or four days. You can also attend a second Master Class for an additional fee (call us at 928-254-1897 to register and pay this additional fee).
Click here for information on each class and teacher:
MORNING MASTER CLASSES
• Writing with Joy with Luis Urrea
• Turning Life into Art: A memoir and fiction workshop with Christina Baker Kline, Paula McLane & Helen Simonson.
• Identifying & Overcoming Challenges in Writing Fiction with Meg Wolitzer
• Beginning a novel with Richard Russo
• Memoir with Adrienne Brodeur
• The Art and Business of Getting Published: Traditional, Indie, and Everything in Between with Jane Friedman
AFTERNOON MASTER CLASSES
• The Way of the Writer with Charles Johnson
• 5-Sense Psychology with Joshua Mohr
• STORYquest: the Writer, the Hero, the Journey with Laura Lentz
• Scene Making: The Essence of Storytelling with Elizabeth Stark & Ellen Sussman
• Cutting and Polishing: Turning your good manuscript into a great book with Elizabeth Rosner
• The Power of Words: Writing/Righting Our Lives, a workshop collaboration with Amy Ferris and Linda Schreyer
CRITIQUES AND CONSULTATIONS offers you the opportunity to present your work one-on-with prominent literary agents and representatives of major publishing houses (click here for information on each of them). Included in your registration fee is your choice of one of the following opportunities. You can also register for a second Critique/Consultation for an additional fee (call us at 928-254-1897 to register and pay this additional fee).
• Agent Pitch Sessions offers you the opportunity to pitch your manuscript to an agent who is the right match for your premise and voice. Pitching your manuscript to an agent on Kauai can be both more casual and more productive than in a more formal setting.
• Manuscript Critiques offer supportive and insightful feedback from top literary agents who will help you make your manuscript one that agents will want to read and publishers will want to publish. You will submit up to 20 pages double-spaced in advance.
• Publishing Consultations provide the rare opportunity to meet one-on-one with prominent literary agents and publishers, including representatives of major publishing houses and leading exponents of alternative publishing. You will have the opportunity to submit excerpts from your work in advance and receive personal guidance on your best path to publication from the most knowledgeable and well-connected people in the publishing world. You will submit up to 20 pages double-spaced in advance.
JOIN US AND YOU WILL RECEIVE:
• Support, inspiration and insights in community with other writers.
• Four days of close personal guidance in small groups with living masters of their genres: Fiction, Memoir, Nonfiction, Publishing and more.
• An opportunity for transformational insights and creative breakthroughs.
• An opportunity to broker a book deal.
• Lifelong literary friendships.
• The Hawaiian aloha spirit which infuses the entire event, opening hearts to intimate communication between faculty and attendees.
LOCATION: Kauai, often called the Garden Island, is the oldest and northernmost island in the Hawaiian chain. It is draped in emerald valleys, sharp mountain spires and jagged cliffs aged by time and the elements. Centuries of growth have formed tropical rainforests, forking rivers and cascading waterfalls offering views beyond imagination. More than just dramatic beauty, its laid-back atmosphere and rich culture make it truly timeless.
LODGING: We will be ensconced for five days at the Kauai Marriott. It sits on a lovely beach on its own cove—an excellent spot for novice surfers—and provides gorgeous indoor-outdoor meeting spaces and luxurious accommodations. Surfboards, stand-up paddle boards, and outrigger canoes are available just steps away.
Karen Ely is a speaker, facilitator, mentor and author who inspires audiences of women of all ages, incomes and backgrounds to live to their full potential. She is the founder and director of the Sedona Women’s Institute, one of the country’s premier women’s programs, which has offered hundreds of programs and touched thousands of women all over the world since its inception in 2003. Karen is also the author of five well-received books, including: Daring to Dream: Reflections on the Year I Found Myself, A Retreat of My Own, Breathing Space: Mini-Retreats for the Heart & Soul, 21 Days of Gratitude and 21 Stepping Stones to a More Peaceful, Meaningful Life. A Safe Place to Stand will be published in 2021. Karen has a lifetime of retreat facilitation experience and a deep commitment to assisting women in creating and living authentic lives of passion and joy. For more information on Karen and her work, please click here.
Karen Chun is a graduate of the Sedona Women’s Institute’s Facilitator Training Program. She has a Master’s Degree in both Library Science and Educational Curriculum Design. Karen currently works as a curriculum designer in both Hawaii and Hoi An, Viet Nam. She creates curriculum for the global studies classes in Hawaii’s public schools and for the English Language Center she founded in Viet Nam. She recently completed a children’s book and is ready for her next writing project. Karen believes that the “power of words” is enhanced through the sharing in a safe space with like-minded women.
RETREAT COST: $2,495
Retreat fee includes:
• Facilitated retreat from reception on November 8th through breakfast on November 13th
• 5 nights at the Kauai Marriott (double occupancy). Private rooms are available at additional charge.
• Opening dinner on November 8th
• 4-day Master Class of your choice
• Critique or consultation of your choice
• Celebration dinner on November 12th
• Breakfast on November 13th
Not included in the retreat fee:
• Flight to and from Kauai, Hawaii.
• Registration and payment for a second Master Class or a second Critique/Consultation.
• Registration and lodging for the Kauai Writer’s Conference*, November 13 – 15.
• Breakfasts, lunches and dinners, with the exceptions of those listed above.
~ $1,200 is due at time of registration ($500 of this is non-refundable)
~ The remaining $1,295 is due no later than August 1, 2020 (after this date, there are no refunds).
Click below to register and pay the $1200 deposit for The Power of Words and then please call us AS SOON AS POSSIBLE at 928-254-1897 in order to reserve your space in the Master Class and Critique/Consultation of your choice.
OR call us for information or to register at 928-254-1897.
*PLEASE NOTE: The Kauai Writer’s Conference follows our retreat. The conference runs from November 13 – 15 and is not included in your retreat fee. However, if you choose to attend the conference at the conclusion of our retreat on the morning of the 13th, you can extend your stay at the Kauai Marriott and register for the full conference by clicking here.